I have lived here in the Buffalo, NY suburbs since 1994. There are so very many things to recommend this great place, from the world class culturals to the easy commutes and small town feel. I never go anywhere here without running into someone I know. And whenever anyone asks how far someplace is, the most common answer is 15 minutes. Here are a few of my favorite things about living in Buffalo:
1. Amazing Local Theatre Community. Take a look at this great video clip (I know a lot of the people in this!)
Buffalo: All the City’s a Stage
2. According to Forbes Magazine, Buffalo is the Best City in the US for Working Moms
I would argue that it’s great for families in general.
3. The Goo Goo Dolls are from Buffalo and bassist Robbie Takac has made it his life’s work to give back to the Buffalo music community with:
MIA hosts an annual music festival and runs an instrument drive to provide instruments to children who could not otherwise afford them.
4. Singer songwriter Ani DiFranco purchased a historic but dilapitated church built in 1876 and designed by John Selkirk. From this now restored building, she runs Righteous Babe Records as well as providing banquet and performance space:
5. Arts and Architecture. As well as the aforementioned Selkirk designed church, there are many examples of Frank Lloyd Wright designs such as the Darwin Martin House and Greycliff.
There are serveral art museums including the Burchfield Penney located on the Buffalo State campus and the Albright Knox, which boasts one of the most significant modern art collections in the world.
Here are some other sources of Buffalove:
City of Buffalo: Arts and Culture
Buffalo Architecture and History
There are also tons of great restaurants and colleges and year round outdoor activities. Also sports teams, but I am a Philly native who still supports her hometown teams, so you’ll have to look elsewhere for Buffalo Sports.
But Buffalo is a great place to live or to visit so you should come here. But not all of you. I like my elbow room.
I can’t believe you didn’t mention Tim Horton’s. That place will forever be MY favorite place in Buffalo!
[…] I didn’t expect funny and engaging. She performed Sunday at Annie DiFranco’s Asbury Hall at Babeville. It’s a great venue. You can see more about it in my blog post: The Five Best Things About Living in Buffalo. […]